Finding the right private Christian elementary school for your child can be challenging. In the article “The school visit: what to look for, what to ask", it discusses the importance of doing one’s homework before finalizing this important decision. However, in looking for a private Christian elementary school, it is also important to look at how well a particular school meets the emotional and spiritual needs as well as the academic needs of the child. Does the school you are looking for emphasize the whole child with these three things in mind?
As the article states, it is important to do your homework before taking a tour of the school. Some things that we feel are important to ask before taking a tour:
- What is the mission and vision of the private Christian elementary school?
- Does their mission and vision line up with your philosophy of education?
- What programs do they offer?
- What standards are used at the school?
- Does the school emphasize the importance of the whole child, including meeting the spiritual, emotional, and academic needs of the child?
- What is the reputation of the school in the community?
- What security measures are in place?
- Are scholarships available? Step Up? McKay? Other?
- What is the teacher to student ratio?
- What electives classes and extracurricular activities are available?
- When I contact the school, do I get a fast response to my inquiry?
- Are the people at the school helpful and kind when answering questions?
Once you have determined that the school you are researching may be a good fit for your child, there are also important features to look for when visiting the school:
- What things are highlighted on the tour?
- Does the school seem to care and take interest in your individual child and their needs?
- What is the culture of the school?
- Do teachers seem happy to be there and do students look like they are enjoying their experience?
- How much emphasis is placed on biblical integration?
- Is there mention of spiritual guidance or direction?
- Are teachers required to integrate biblical principles into all of their lessons?
- Is there a support system in place for spiritual and emotional support of the whole child and/or family?
- What type of transportation is offered (or not offered)?
- How is the classroom set up?
- What support does the administration give the teachers for professional learning opportunities?
- What access to administration do parents have if they have a concern regarding their child?
- Can the private Christian elementary school meet the academic needs of your child? Does it have the resources?
- What curriculum is used for the different subjects?
- What standardized testing is used to test the standards taught?
- What are the qualifications needed by the teachers to work at the school?
- What are the ways that the school supports students who have varying academic needs?
It is important to not only take into consideration what information is given during the tour but to also observe the atmosphere or climate of the school. When you enter the school, are you greeted kindly by the office staff? Are the teachers attentive to the students and to one another? A school that has happy teachers and staff is a school that fosters an environment in which children are able to feel safe and can meet their full potential.
Palm Beach Christian Academy is uniquely equipped to meet the emotional, spiritual, and academic needs of the students we serve. Our curriculum is not only aligned to the Florida State Standards, but the curriculum and lesson plans are created and implemented with the spiritual heart of the child in mind. Our teachers are “Highly Qualified” and hold their state certifications. Not only does our school emphasize academic and spiritual excellence, but it also offers students an array of opportunities including exposure to the arts and hands-on science. Children who come to our school are seen as the whole child, and each child is placed on a plan that is unique to their strengths and their struggles.
We invite you to visit us and see the well-rounded education your child can receive at our school. If you are interested in learning more about Palm Beach Christian Academy, email or call us at 561-671-5795 to take a tour.